ProcrastinationOn: Apply Directly to the Forehead!

It was almost 9 months and 200 posts ago that I thrust my pre-alpha version of Geon into the world for everyone to see. Thanks to my innate shyness I didn’t go the whole hog and release it into the wild for the whole world to see and I’m still glad for that as the first version was, to put it lightly, a smoking pile of crap. Had anymore than about 5 users got on it at once (the record stood at 2) my server would have fallen on its face trying to deliver all the content over my poor little 1Mbps connection. The saving grace of Silverlight taught me that I could use my client side programming skills to do what I wanted on the web without having to completely relearn everything and the next few versions of Geon came along that much faster.

Right now I’m comfortable enough to let every reader of this blog know that there’s a new version of Geon up (those adventurous amongst you would’ve noticed a link to the new version in a previous post) and it comes along with a UI change that I had been alluding to a while back. In essence the change was done in order to increase the readability of the information streams you’ve selected as prior to this you just had the one bar that would scroll along madly if you dared to look at multiple locations at once or just so happened to add Twitter from anywhere that was mildly populated. In addition to the UI changes I have also made the switch to Silverlight 4 which added in things like native scroll wheel support (I can’t tell you how happy that made me) and a slight performance improvement over Silverlight 3. Thankfully none of the breaking changes they made in the transition affected Geon so the upgrade was only a few clicks and a restart of Visual Studio away.

The new UI works similarly to the old one as you select your location first by clicking the location button on the left hand side and then clicking the location on the map you want to see. Then you can add in information feeds from the same bar in a similar way and they’ll automatically add themselves to the closet location circle on the map. As of right now all the feeds available work apart from Facebook (you’ll get a pop up asking it to connect with your Facebook account but no information will appear) because their geolocation is still not fully implemented and I’m not keen to do a whole lot of mangling to get results that are more than likely irrelevant anyway¹. Once you’re done adding the streams hit the button up in the left hand corner to see your streams in all their glory. Rows are locations and the columns are the feeds, all titled properly so you can tell what’s what.

Having all that done means however I’m now out of options for procrastinating. You see whilst this version included some new streams (videos and Wikipedia), a much better UI and a cleaner back end (mmmm JSON) most of the heavy lifting had already been done in previous versions. After getting the initial hard parts out of the way with the UI most of it could have been done inside of a week, although I casually programmed it over the course of a month or so. The next thing on the list is the real meat of Geon: the request system.

That pretty much means I have to start diving into something I’ve never coded before: webservices. Whilst I can’t really say I’ve been avoiding this I haven’t been actively looking to do anything about it either, apart from the casual search for tutorials on how to build user authentication systems. I know I’m just being a big baby about this and I should just suck it up and do it but it’s just been so darn easy up until this point I’ve been wondering why no one has done it before. As it turns out the rudimentary parts that most netziens have come to expect are the most complex and tiresome parts which is why it hasn’t been done (and also explains why some services don’t have logins at all).

I’ve decided to suck it up and just start hammering away at it until I get the thing going. It’s much like when I first started out coding Geon and I was using RSS feeds for everything, it was just the first way I found to do things. After fiddling around for a while and getting some advice from a real developer mate I found that had I just taken the time to research it the whole idea of using other formats was so much easier. I’m sure with an afternoon of searching under my belt I’ll be ready to tackle the big bad demon that is the client/server architecture of Geon.

¹I thought I should elaborate on this a little bit. There’s been rumours of a geo-api from Facebook for a while now but with their developer conference f8 over and done with I haven’t heard anything solid about its actual implementation. They’ve tweaked their privacy policy to allow the storage of geo information in Facebook however the API as of right now remains unchanged. There are a lot of apps out there making use of geo data and Facebook but there’s no way to extract that out of Facebook currently. You can kind of figure stuff out by finding out a user’s hometown location, reverse geo-coding the location, figuring out if that’s within your bounding box and then displaying messages from them if it’s within your area HOWEVER that’s an incredibly messy way of doing it and honestly isn’ the kind of thing I was looking for. I’ll be integrating Facebook information when they finalize their geo-api but until then it won’t work.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.